Hi everyone! So I've been really excited about the new Despicable Me 2 Movie that is coming out and I decided to do a Despicable Me Minions Bento today! This was inspired by Tian Min Lim who is a fellow member over at Culinary Kitchenette which is an Fb group filled with the most loving, kind and AMAZING homebakers and cooks ever. Seriously, if you enjoy cooking/ baking or if you are like me and a total noob, you should check out the fb page because you can ask them things like HOW TO CHOP AN ONION and they wouldn't laugh at you. Instead they would reply with so much love and patience (which side should I turn the onion?) that it'll evoke more tears than the onion. (hehheh) Also, their bakes are seriously fantastic and most of them are full time working moms etc and yet them manage to churn out all these scrumptious creations. Absolutely inspiring, I say!( If you just want the recipes/ pictures, you can also just check out culinarykitchenette.blogspot.sg)
1 cup rice
2 hard boiled eggs
1/2 head of broccoli
Fillings for the rice balls (optional)
1. Cook eggs till hardboiled. Peel and separate yolks from whites.
2. In a bowl, mash yolk and rice until incorporated and rice has turned yellow.
3. On a piece of cling wrap, scoop a handful of rice and press down on the cling wrap
4. Add fillings of choice or leave plain. Over here, I placed a piece of fried chicken and several eggwhites but it made a fat and ugly minion so I took out the eggwhite. Other suggestions include mixed eggs, mushrooms, vegetables, fish, minced meat or half a nugget/ karaage.
5. Place another layer of rice over the fillings and mold the rice into an oval.
6. Make 2. I know one of the minions is supposed to be skinnier but I couldn't fit my karaage inside so both my minions are short and fat. haha
7. Cut seaweed into an 'I' shape.
8. 'Diaper' the minion like how you would diaper a baby. Stick the seaweed down with a dab of water. Don't worry if you cut your seaweed too small or it starts to crack, wherever it cracks, you can patch it up with little pieces of wet seaweed- not noticeable at all!
9. Make two!
11. Place on 'minion'
12. Using a smaller bottle cap, poke out another eye using the leftover eggwhites
13. Cut/ punch out round circles from your seaweed for eyes
14. Cut/ punch out little strips for mouth
15. Place in lunchbox and fill with your favourite vegetables.
And there you have it- Your minion bento! :)